Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Socks like to play games while being dried


While its playing hide n seek or playing "The dryer monster ate me", socks tend to get funny personalities while being flopped around in the dryer with other fabrics.  

Last Sunday during my last break of my eight hour shift at work, I sat at a table where the sun was laying upon it, hitting the silver framework on the chairs and bouncing around the room; all the while tricking my mind into feeling the warmth of the sun even though it was a chilly 40 degrees inside and out.  A man walked up to the gelato bar, standing in front of me; as I watch him deciding on which gelato flavor to try, I notice a white piece of fabric attached to his butt, as I pay closer attention I see it is a white ankle length sock clinging onto the Velcro strap on his right back pant pocket.  I lean in a little as I am going to get his attention to let him know of this but at that moment his wife (I am assuming) and young teenage son walk up to him, as the lady starts angrily telling this man what gelato flavor he should try and what he will like better (she was not being nice and listening to her guy as to the flavor he was telling her he wants to try), his son stood behind him - with his wife’s ‘attention to detail’ I would have guessed that she would have seen this long before he stepped out of their house, and his son – I would have guessed wouldn’t want to be embarrassed by his dad if they ran into any of his friends or school mates.  With these two people in his life, they could have so kindly informed him of this funny picture, I just relax back into my seat and grinned.  

This reminds me about another laundry incident many years ago; one early morning as the custodian manager and I were going over quality control issues in the restaurant, there was something white on his jeans near his ankle that kept distracting me, I finally looked down and saw a dryer sheet peeking out of one of the legs in his jeans.  Chuckling some I said, “Todd, your pants look clean and smell fresh from the dryer.”  He caught my gaze and saw what I was seeing, the rest of the day we laugh quietly to ourselves about it.  Good thing it was at six in the morning when there were only four people in the restaurant and not 200. 

What are the lessons I learned from these experiences?  To give myself a “once over” and to look in the mirror before leaving the house!  I also learned not to dictate to others or not let anyone dictate for me – how annoying dictators are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment