Saturday, November 10, 2012

My Perfect Day

Walk into the office, turn the lamp on lowest setting while squinting my eyes, swivel my chair a quarter of a turn to easily slid into it, swivel back toward computer screen, turn on the computer and wait mere seconds to load up my previous work from the night before.  Click on my emails, read through the "From" section on the new ones as a grin reaches across my cheeks.  The Smart Cookies are asking me what my perfect day would be.  This is easy, I have a couple perfect day scenarios.  Open the email to read the rest but only skim through the contents of the email before returning to the others.  No time to read each and response so I stuff my laptop into my backpack, zip it closed and ready for when I head off to school.  

It wasn't until Friday, three days later, that I reopened this email and fully read it.  Again, a couple answers came to mind with almost each question asked.  I grab my CAN (catch all notebook, Brook Noel) and write down each question; I want to find these questions and my answers months, years to come.  I will type the questions and my response.  

My perfect day.  What would I do?  How would I feel? 
Scenario: It is Friday morning, still need to go to work.  

1) What time do I wake?  How am I feeling as I face the day? 

     I awake at 6am, sun is thinking about rising or has risen a little.  I am feeling refreshed and excited      
     for the day ahead, a quick yoga practice is going to solidify my feelings.  I am calm, collected, 
     ready to make decisions.  

2) Where am I?  If home, what does it look like? 

    I am home, about 20 miles outside of a large city in a quiet neighborhood where the neighbors are 
    good to have around and keep out of my personal business.  My one story house is moderate sized
    and open; brick outside and inside on a few walls in my bedroom, kitchen and living room. All 
    rooms within the house are larger than normal to provide space necessary for people, pets and 
    furniture as we entertain often and love not having to around pets and furniture.  

3) Who is with me?  People, pets? 

    The love of my life is with me, continuing to sleep, now wrapped up in all the covers, hiding from 
    the sunlight coming through the window outside of the bedroom.  The dogs, one, two or three of 
    them, are stretching their legs and darting out of the bedroom heading toward the back door to 
    the large backyard where they spend time as I prepare my coffee.    

4) What are my activities this day? 

    My activities consist of practicing yoga, sipping on coffee while reading my personal emails, 
    feeding the dogs, preparing breakfast and lunch, work - making decisions, contacts and 
    opportunities, preparing dinner and enjoying it with my love.   

5) What kind of work do I undertake and with whom?  Consider the qualities I want in the work I do, including the ideal workplace environment. 

    I am in the business of environmental and social responsibility and traveling worldwide for it, in the 
    business of consulting for LEED specifics, in the business of writing books, and touring for their 
    release as well as a yoga teacher at a small studio near my home.  My workplace environment is 
    vibrant, busy, open to all communication, getting tasks accomplished with a team effort.  This work 
    is performed in an office building lit with natural light, powered by natural resources, and holds like 
    minded people and enthusiasts. 

6) As I head to work, what am I wearing and how do I look? 

    I am dressed in a dark business suit pencil skirt with a light shirt and a colorful scarf along with 
    killer heels, because heels mean business; my hair is pulled up at the sides so it looks as if my hair is 
    down but it remains out of my face so my colleagues and clients can see my eyes and my intentions 
    clearly.    

7) When and where do I work and how do I get there? 

    I work a pretty normal 8-4 or 9-5 for my responsibility side of business, consulting hours for LEED 
    business and on my spare time for writing and publishing.  I get to all activities in my electric car or 
    when traveling across the nation or world, by plane, train, and cab.  

8) When work is done, what do I do with my spare time? 

    I practice and teach yoga, I run, cook, read, and spend time with great friends whether eating, 
    drinking wine, hiking, canyoneering, or learning to knit.  

9) Who do I spend my time with and how do they relax? 
    
     I spend my time with the love of my life!  We communicate freely without t.v., we walk, hike, go 
     camping and canyoneering.  When the busy is done, a book is opened as the night falls.  

10) What is my evening like?  What do I eat for dinner?  Who am I with? 

     My evening is full of playing with the dogs, preparing a tasty dinner, opening a new bottle of wine, 
     listening to my love's day, walking the dogs, and not to forget to watch Bill Maher's HBO weekly 
     show.  Dinner is a big bowl of creamy pasta with garlic bread and a spinach salad. 

11) As my day winds down, what am I grateful for?  What am I excited about as I drift off to sleep?  What am I looking forward too? 

    I am grateful for the sun rising, for the dogs excited to rise with the sun and explore their new day. 
    I am grateful for my jobs, contributing to the world, making it better when I can.  I am grateful to 
    wake up next to my love and grateful to spoon with him each night, his arms wrapped around me.  
    I am grateful for the opportunities I have created.   


There is my perfect day!  Doing what I love, making the necessary choices in life to better me, my family and my society.  The trick here is getting to my dream jobs; on my way yes but want to be there today...yesterday.  

All of my dreams are possible, yet some of them require money, like my house or my electric car.  The ability to feed me, my love, and our many dogs.  Yet, my dreams here are not far away, I have a feeling they are closer to me than I think.  They are here, before the horizon meets my eyes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment