Sunday, December 20, 2015

Tired of "Keeping Busy"

The poem below was read to the yoga class I attended and again as we are nearing the end of the practice.  Both times the poem was read, the words resonated with me and where I am in my life.  For the longest time I have been in a rut, both mentally, physically and emotionally.  Attending this yoga class and trying to break away from the things to "keep me busy" has been starting a small revolution within myself.  Reading, more yoga, writing, attending to my goals, to my aspirations help the busy-ness of my days - if only I can do these things in longer time blocks.  During the times I keep from "being busy" I will listen for my song.

Going to the mountains has always been a strong reconnection and grounding experience for me.  Whatever the trees I am surrounded by I am able to refill my cup of nature, of love, of patience.  Yet, there is something spiritual about being surrounded by thousands of aspen trees.  The small giants, straight, curved, twisted, however they want to grow, they grow.  Their leaves dance like chimes with wind.  In Autumn, when the leaves fall, it is seeing a gold littered ground.  A great friend has a print of a large field of aspen trees.  The front of the print is a dark tone.  As the trees move toward the back, center of the print, it becomes lighter, a clearing almost.  This has always brought my attention back to myself.  Mesmerized by this print, knowing currently I am in the dark tones but as I keep moving, the light shines through and leads me out.  I would love to have that print with this poem painted onto it.

Do not try to save the whole world or do anything grandiose.  Instead, create a clearing in the dense forest of your life and wait there patiently, until the song that is your life falls into your own cupped hands and you recognize and greet it. Only then will you know how to give yourself to this world so worth of rescue.
                                                                                                   ~Martha Postlewaite

No comments:

Post a Comment