Thursday, December 21, 2017

Escape to the Noise

Escape to the Noise

Sitting quietly with my thoughts amid the noisy forest. Chipmunks chattering, flies and bees buzzing near. Crickets clapping. Pine needles and cones rustle in the wind, falling to the earths floor. Serenity overcomes me in this noisy place. 

Juggling the mood of the mother earth minute by minute - will she shower me with rain or sun? Rain jacket and umbrella over my shorts and tank top. Rain jacket comes off almost as quickly as it is put on and my skin warms with the heat of the sun. 

Thunder rolling through the clouds hanging over the vast hills. Recklessly crashing,  growling, threatening for destruction. 

Chasing the sun around the campsite. Begging for her light and warmth to stay with me longer. 

Finally, quiet of the night seeps in. Rain gently dropping onto us and our food. A little harder and faster the rain falls. Determined for the fire to stay and meals to be cooked. At last, the rain calms and soon stops. The world becomes quiet again. 

In the dark of the night, in a waxing moon, the world becomes noisy once again. The coyotes being to howl. The pack signing to the moon. Off to the opposite of the world, elk begin bugling as they move across the mountain. 

The night grows darker, grows still. Gazing into the nights sky, the glorious Milky Way shining in the universe, the bewildering moon pulling me, the brilliant dancing stars. The owls begin to hoot and to own the night as theirs. 

Crawl into the tent, into my sleeping bag on the chilly night. I am being sung to sleep by the noise of the wilderness. My soul is home. 

When I want noise, I escape to the mountains, to the wilderness. Here lies much peace, quiet, and solitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment