Thursday, February 9, 2012

Organic foods or...

Every day I try not to support huge corporate giants; although, it is quite difficult for some of the products I use.  But food, to me, is on a whole different level.  I support the local, home-grown, organic freedom we can choose to buy, as often as I can.  The companies who are scared into doing what the big corporations are telling them they will be doing or to the small businesses who do not have the funds to fight anymore against the corporate giants, I truly feel for these folks, but I will do my part in fighting the big, bad, mean wolf, the corporate giants, like Monsanto.  There is so much on the web about how great it is to have GMO seeds for farmers all across America, but is that truly what we, the consumers, want?  Is it in our best interest or are we just rolling over while they scratch our tummies and letting these bad wolfs make our decisions for us?  I choose to make my own decisions and fight for what is right, what is natural, what is healthy! 

Organics vs. Monsanto
Driving Force Behind Monsantos GMO
Monsanto Sued by Organic Farmers

I could continue but then I would really lose your interest. 

Where did this all come from you ask?  In one of my philosophy classes, we were talking about the role of Democracy and Capitalism and our role, the consumers, in each.  So many ideas and opinions were popping up all around the class when the question of "Was it the consumers or the producers who wanted organic foods?" came about.  In my opinion, I believe it started with consumers saying they want healthy, natural foods for them and their family's and since then it has spiraled into an elite club of consumers...yes, I consider myself one of them to an extent, hence only buying food products from companies who have not put their tail in between their legs and let the big, bad wolfs take over.  It was then when my professor told us a short story of an Idaho farmer who grew organic beets; not long after, Monsanto bought the land right next to his and, of course, used their round up chemical spray.  With each rain fall, each irrigation fill, the round up chemicals came over into the organic farmers garden, contaminating his beets.  Monsanto sued him for "mis-using" their product.  And the farmer lost his organic certification.  Monsanto is not the only bad company out there, but they are on the top of the list. 

Quite sad to learn about, but the great thing about being in America...we get to voice our opinions and fight for what we believe in, what is best for you and your family.  Not what the corporate giants want in their bank accounts and what cars they get to drive. 

It's your opinion, your money, your health...Go fight! 

Cheers 

No comments:

Post a Comment