Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Magic

     Last night was the first in about 27 years that I felt the magic of Christmas.  It was just G and me hanging out and cooking and eating and later pouring some Jager down our throats; I was happy, content and at ease knowing I was exactly where I wanted to be (before the Jager hit me).  Texting my little sis as well as talking to her on the phone, she was expressing the energy my nephew was showing waiting for Santa to get to Utah and to his house.  Hearing him in the background as we chatted on the phone, I felt his energy!  In fact, I am certain some of his energy did travel at mach speed through the cellular signals and hit me.

     She was using a Santa tracker to know of his last spotted country, state, and city; I asked where he was last spotted, she replied "South America", it was then I felt the magic come through me again.  The same magic I felt when I was a little girl on Christmas Eve watching the local news anchors track Santa and unveil where he was last spotted.  I can still hear my parents saying, "Santa won't come to our house if you kids are still up!"  And once we were snuggled in bed, or not snuggled because our excitement ran through out legs down to our feet and kept kicking the covers off of us, they would yell at us from the kitchen or living room, "You girls be quite and go to sleep!"  Giggles rippled in between our beds as our laughing became muffled in our pillows so they wouldn't yell again!

     For many years, ever since I was 13, I have made Christmas a holiday of obligation.  Others are obligated to buy for another, and the price of the gift has to be substantial or the person you are giving to will know it did come from your heart.  Whatever that means.  Year after year I have been prying myself away from this scene, a scene I do not believe in; go broke buying up items that may or may not be remembered in a year to people who you may or may not see again in a year, just to make another person smile at you, to make another person give you a gift.  I like to buy gifts, don't get me wrong, I like to show others how much I appreciate them but I don't go overboard and I don't spend money I don't have.  No gift, one gift - perfect!    

     "He's in Nova Scotia!..." was the next text she sent to me, and it was not long after the South America text; Santa moves magically quick.  When she told me he was in Baltimore the wave of excitement hit me again as I was trying to envision my nephew jumping off the walls, literally I am certain, that Santa was hours away from us.  My sis is trying to get him to bed so he is asleep when Santa arrives but his excitement was too great, and because I was feeling it too, I told her that I am on his side and he should stay up a little longer...because it is Christmas Eve after all.

     Finally she got him to bed but not yet asleep, as he began knocking on the walls still exerting his excitement for Santa to arrive and leave behind foreknowing gifts.  The magic of being, the magic of knowing, the magic of believing!

Merry Christmas!  



1 comment:

  1. Children and their excitement give new life to old events and I just LOVE that!

    And I hear ya about the whole gift giving thing. I'm slowing trying on the minimalist lifestyle, I'm intent on trading lots of stuff for meaningful experiences and that goes for gift giving. :)

    ReplyDelete